26 June 2010

Naughty impressions...

I have to start by saying that although Naughty Bear is enjoyable, I'm a little disappointed by it considering how long it has taken to develop. I've not played it to death BUT, over the 3 hours I have played it, there's not a lot left for me to do!

Synopsis:
You play as Naughty, a teddy bear who tries to be nice to the other bears but, get humiliated and teased for being different. One day, Daddels decides to have a party but, Naughty isn't invited. As a gesture of good will, Naughty still makes Daddles a present and goes anyway hoping to be excepted but is instead, laughed away :(
That was the final straw and now Naughty is going to make them ALL pay for his suffering...

As you can see, the premise of the game sounds pretty fun and the video in the previous post makes it look fun. In whole it is fun however, the fact that you are taking revenge on the same bears over and over again on exactly the same map over and over again gets a little tedious!
What's more, the game upon installing it to my 360 is a little over 750MB... YES, 750MB instead of the usual 6 to 6.5GB giving you an idea of how small the game actually is! Due to the "size" of the actual game I feel a little robbed at paying the 30-odd pounds and can't help but feel they really could have just released this as a Live Arcade or PSN title much like they are doing with Hydrophobia (originally due to be released as a retail title).
My fears for this game lay with the DLC though and I can't help but think that due to the limited "play area" of the game, purchasing it for £32(ish) will force a lot of people into buying bigger/new maps, different game modes and such. I don't like companies who makes games to be a money traps so, I'll have to wait and see how they go about the DLC as paying for "additions" which really could and should have been in the game to begin with (I POINT AT YOU RESIDENT EVIL 5!!), is something I'm not prepared to do.
Let's hope they take a page from Rockstar's "Red Dead Redemption" and their recent FREE DLC that extended the life of the multiplayer experience.

In regards to glitches, I've read that there are people out there running into some pretty horrible glitches but, other than invisible bear traps/landmines and teleporting into building after breaking a bear's neck, I've not had any problems  other than trying to connect to an online game.
Online, for me, seems like an important part for this game. I've tried a couple of times to actually play a game however, upon the map loading, I've lost connection to the other players =(
What I can tell you though is I'm not impressed with what I've seen as it seems a game can hold no more than 4 players. There is a badge system in place that allows different perks to be added to you bear but, even with my early progress into the game, I've already unlocked a badge that gives you an extra 75% health. How these actually effect the game I don't know but, with so little unlocked, what other nasty surprises await!?

Enough with the negative about this game though, surely there's some fun to be had for the £32 price tag?

Sure, the game itself is enjoyable but, if you are interested, I'd recommend either renting it or waiting until the price drops (which, I'm assuming it will VERY soon). It has a child-like quality to it which I personally feel adds a whole lot of humor to ramming a bear's head into a cooler and stamping down on the lid and I can't quite put my finger on it but, something is constantly screaming KILL THE TELETUBBIES at me while I play! I can't comment on the multiplayer as such just yet but, it has potential and when killing a bear with a turntable justifies a guy sounding like a pre-school tv presenter saying "Gruesome DJ-ification" you can't help but, laugh.

Honestly, I think this game would have done better as an Arcade title on the 360 with a heap of DLC to support it as in short bursts, this game is great to kill (excuse the pun) an hour or so while you wait for a pizza or something as it's highly repetative and more of a short term entertainer.
If you're looking for something that's gonna keep you playing for 19 hours straight you'll be wanting to look for something different like Crackdown 2. On a plus note though, I should have the full 1000gs before Crackdown 2 is released so, at least I won't be paying full whack for that on the 9th July!